We arrange Homestay accommodation for international students while they are studying with us at Victor Harbor High School, usually between 1 to 4 terms. We are always looking for more families to host our international students.
What does it take to be a homestay?
There is no such thing as a typical homestay family. You can be single, a couple, family with kids, empty nester or retiree. Whoever you are, what's most important is that you are committed to the program and you will be good ambassadors for our State.
Looking after an international student is a big responsibility but it is not one you will have to face alone. You will be provided with a generous weekly allowance and ongoing support.
What will your family learn by hosting a student?
Every family gets something different from the experience. There is no doubt you will all learn a lot about a new culture, food, language, customs and traditions but you will also have the chance to:
- participate in activities and meet other host families
- be a tourist in your own town and State as you show them around
- make lifelong friendships with your student and their family
You’ll care for them and we’ll care for you
When you host an international student, they will become a member of your family. Your student will be a long way from home and in your care so you will be expected to provide them with a safe, supportive and welcoming home environment.
As a homestay, you will be required to provide your student with:
- a furnished bedroom inside the family home (not a separate dwelling)
- all meals
- use of utilities (i.e. water, electricity and gas)
- internet access
- use of facilities (e.g. access to TV, iron, vacuum cleaner, laundry)
You will also be expected to:
- support your student in their studies
- monitor your student's health and well-being
- accept duty of care for your student outside of school hours
For more information please refer to the International Education Services website.
We would love to hear from more families who would like to host a student. If you can offer a friendly, supportive home environment and are interested in hosting an international student, please contact the school on 8551 1900 or email email@example.com