We arrange Homestay accommodation for international students while they are studying with us at Victor Harbor High School, usually between 1 to 4 terms.
What does it take to be a homestay?
There is no such thing as a typical homestay family. You can be single, a couple, family with kids, empty nester or retiree. Whoever you are, what's most important is that you are committed to the program and you will be good ambassadors for our State.
What will your family learn by hosting a student?
Hosting an international student is a rewarding and life-changing experience for your family, creating a unique opportunity to experience other cultures and establish lifelong friendships. You will also have the chance to:
- participate in activities and meet other host families
- be a tourist in your own town and State as you show them around
- make lifelong friendships with your student and their family
You’ll care for them and we’ll care for you
When you host an international student, they will become a member of your family. Your student will be a long way from home and in your care so you will be expected to provide them with a safe, supportive and welcoming home environment. As a homestay, you will be required to provide your student with:
- a furnished bedroom inside the family home (not a separate dwelling)
- all meals
- use of utilities (i.e. water, electricity and gas)
- internet access
- use of facilities (e.g. access to TV, iron, vacuum cleaner, laundry)
You will also be expected to:
- support your student in their studies
- monitor your student's health and well-being
- accept duty of care for your student outside of school hours
You're not alone, you'll receive the following support:
- weekly allowance of $270 (2017) / $280 (2018) for a single room
- an initial briefing session and homestay handbook
- homestay newsletters
- homestay workshops covering a variety of topics
- invite to an annual homestay picnic for families and students
- an exciting range of homestay activities and giveaways
- ongoing support
- access to a 24 hour emergency telephone service
For more information please refer to the International Education Services website.
We would love to hear from more families who would like to host a student. If you can offer a friendly, supportive home environment and are interested in hosting an international student, please contact the school on 8551 1900 or email email@example.com